|This chick did the right thing. Ice, rest, and gauze.|
- DO get drugged as SOON as you wake up. Pop pop pop those happy pills! And hopefully they make you drowsy enough to sleep through the six hours of excruciating misery before the sedation wears off.
- DON'T lay on your cheeks. Sounds obvious, but on the car ride home I rested my face on the car seat and slept for 20 mins, and when I woke up I was swimming in a medium sized pool of blood and drool. Gross, I know.
- DON'T take the gauze out inmediately. I did and ended up swallowing a lot of blood, which in turn made me throw up about 9 times. It was neither comfortable nor visually pleasing.
- DO put an ice pack on your face, the sooner the better. It will numb the pain and keep the swelling down, too.
- DO eat something with your pill. I survived on tapioca, jell-o, and sweet mashed potato with cream cheese and butter.
- DON'T spit or drink through a straw.
- DON'T conquer the world the 2nd day. That includes any strenuous activity- EVEN talking. I was also moving that weekend, and because vycodin gave me a sense of false security and carefree-ness, I lugged boxes to our 3rd floor apt and ate chicken. And I paid with massive throbbing headaches and sharp shooting pain in my cheeks and gums.
- DON'T sleep face down, even if doesn't hurt when you do it. Once the pill wears off, and feeling comes back, you'll be howling in the middle of the night thrashing like a blind deer with rabies searching for your next pill.
- DO brush your teeth as often as comfortable. Clean mouth equals less chance for infection, equals less agony.
- DO keep popping the happy pills as often as you need them. I'm on my 7th day, and I STILL have pain, especially when I wake up in the morning. So I'm making my transition from Vycodin to Motrin today.
- If you have an oral rinse, over the counter or prescription, DO use it. It will kill the microbes and keep your mouth clean and remove excess food when your brush can't do the job to get those hard to reach swollen places.
|This is what all 4 of my impacted teeth looked like. If yours are also impacted, and growing in crooked, you may be next!|