My Kindle Adventures

Okay okay, so I was the first one to bash on Amazon's Kindle. Didn't like the fact that an electronic device was replacing the centuries old method. There's nothing like cuddling next to a fire, or in my case, my electronic heater, and turning page after page of excitement. 
However, compliments of my wonderful Droid, I downloaded the free app on my phone and it came with three free books. One was Pride and Prejudice, which I have already read. The other was Aesop's Fables. (Not my first choice.) Last was Treasure Island. 
I'm not really a pirate fan, and could care less for a mad hunt of treasure, but this book really wrapped me in! 
It took me about three chapters of exposition (because I am one patient reader) to really feel captivated by the plot. Of course, later on the in the story, you understand the need for such background details. 
The story begins at the Admiral Benbow, a family owned inn where a grouchy, mysterious pirate lodges himself, and overstays his welcome, for about a year. During this time, the son of the innkeeper, and the narrator and main character of the story, is fascinated and simultaneously disgusted at the Cap'n. After his father's sudden death, however, Jim Hawkins (the young son) sees his life flip on him in the most adventurous, and also dangerous of ways. He is invited to embark upon a journey to an island to get his hands on treasure. Through a serious of strange and unfortunate events, friendships blossom, enemies are created, and life suddenly becomes a treasure in itself, proving hard to keep. 
What I like about this book is that its easy to understand, despite its setting, and Jim explains carefully the situations he's in and what is going on from the angle of a young man. 
Twist and turns and dangerous encounters make this book not a only a classic, but a fun read. I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. It could have expounded a little more, I believe, towards the end of the story and the lives of the characters, particularly Jim's. But overall, worth to your winter reading list. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ninfamous' Gotta Have-Em Apps for Droid

Single vs Coupled

The Journey of Growth